Lauren knows that she would be the happiest girl in the world if her major crush, Sean, would just notice her at school. And, if she had an extra wish to waste, she could do without the nicknames.
Slant.
People call her "slant" because of her eye shape. Lauren is too shy to speak up, but Julie isn't. Julie tells her that she needs to do something about the nicknames. Something big and fast. But Julie doesn't expect that Lauren will go so far as operate on her eyes.
Lauren's grandmother helps her set up an appointment to get her eyes operated on, but after a huge secret slips out, will Lauren go through with the operation?
Lauren doesn't speak up for herself because she doesn't have the self esteem. She can't seem to get any confidence or support from her father, who is too busy with his newest girlfriend, Shelley, and his Shakespeare performances. Lauren knows that she can't take any more of this teasing because it begins to get into her brain and her dreams.
Slant.
Slant.
Slant.
Will Lauren have the courage to go behind her father's back and have the operation, or will the biggest secret that she can imagine stop her from doing something that will change her life forever, for good or for bad?
Slant by Laura E. Williams is a teen drama about expressing yourself, speaking up, and either accepting the way you are, or dealing with them and your unhappiness.
I really like how you express the main problem of the book. You also explain the main charecter's heart's desire very well.
ReplyDeleteI really love the order you put this blog in, the title last.
ReplyDeleteThis is glitching, there is more to that.
ReplyDeleteI like how descriptive this was. I also found the sentence variety very smooth. The tone to this blog was really nice, I liked how you made her nicknames in a new paragraph, that really stood out to me. Great job I loved it!!
I agree with Ella...love what you do with sentence variety! I read this book over the weekend and really enjoyed it. It really struck me how the crux of her change was when she realized exactly how her mother did die. I also thought that the photography motif was very telling. I do disagree with your perspective on the Dad; he did admit to being overprotective, and he has moved on with his life, except in being candid with his daughters. Nice job, and definitely a book worth reading!
ReplyDelete